The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO), founded in 2011, is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GIS Officer
INSO Nigeria Country Office
- Since becoming registered in Nigeria, INSO has developed a strong country wide approach, supporting NGOs working on Lake Chad Basin Crisis from all neighbouring countries. The coordination office operates from Abuja overseeing two operational offices in Maiduguri, Nigeria and in Maroua, Cameroon.
- We are seeking a qualified and experienced individual to join our team as GIS Officer to be based in Abuja with occasional travel to North-East Nigeria.
- Under the supervision of the INSO Information Manager, the successful candidate will be focused on meeting the mapping and spatial analysis needs within INSO.
- The GIS Officer position is a highly rewarding role, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving support in relation to the provision of safety services to the NGO community.
- Ensure INSO’s spatial data is well-organised and kept up-to-date in a constantly involving context
- Conception, preparation and production of Standard Delivery Services of INSO mapping products, including the design of a standard in-house format for map products.
- Identify NGO map information needs and opportunities, in collaboration with the operations team.
- Produce and maintain high-quality, security-relevant static maps, including: security incident mapping, area of influence mapping, detailed risk maps for key roads and cities, NGO presence maps.
- Work closely with the Information Manager to ensure accurate and regularly updated/dynamic linkages between GIS maps and INSO’s Incident Database.
- Provide training to Nigeria operations staff on GIS mapping software and methods at a basic level.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Geography, GIS or a relevant discipline.
- 2 years of GIS work experience, preferably with an NGO, with demonstrable experience in high quality map production.
- Excellent command of ArcGIS (preferably with ArcGIS Pro) or QGIS software and Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to GIS and the management of information in crises contexts.
- Displayed capacity to understand the work and nature of NGOs will be considered as an asset.
- Be systematic, proactive, innovative, self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- Fluency in English (working language) with good writing capacity.
- Strong cartographic skills, including the development of templates and adherence to cartographic standards are highly desirable.
- Experience in ArcGIS Pro.
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator.
- Knowledge of analytical software (e.g. R, Stata, SPSS, Tableau).
- Experience in using programming languages (e.g. R, Python) in automating GIS workflows.
- Knowledge of online mapping platforms (e.g. ArcGIS online, Carto).
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good communicator and team player.
- Ability to prioritize and work with limited supervision.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines, with availability to work on weekends as needed.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Application Closing Date
15th March, 2019.
The post International NGO Safety Organisation Job Vacancy : GIS Officer appeared first on Jobs in Nigeria – http://jobsinnigeria.careers.