The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Technical Coherence Specialist, Spotlight Initiative
Job ID: 21546
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job title: Full-Time
Duration: One year (renewable based on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- The Technical Coherence Specialist will be responsible for ensuring strong technical synergy of all programmes across all the pillars of the Spotlight Initiative in Nigeria and with the activities of other implementing agencies.
- You will report directly to the Deputy Representative, under the general supervision of the Country Office Representative.
How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- In a global organization, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will play a vital role in ensuring technical synergy of the new multi-UN agency EU-UN Spotlight Initiative project for UNFPA Nigeria.
- The Spotlight Initiative is a new program set at addressing the SRHR needs of women and girls survivors or those at risk of gender based violence and harmful practices.
- In collaboration with UNFPA SRHR and Gender/GBV units, Government counterparts, sister UN agencies and other partners, the project will work across various thematic areas for a comprehensive response to ending GBV and harmful practices.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
- Overall technical coherence of the UNFPA Spotlight Programme across pillars, including coordination of coherence across Spotlight Project agencies:
- Provide strategic thinking, technical advice and innovative approaches to facilitating programme interventions; provide strategic support to achieve programme deliverables.
- Guide the process of delivery of technical assistance and engagement with partners
- Identify/monitor risks that could interfere with programme delivery and coherence; and design sustainable and practicable mitigation measures.
Preparation of analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from implementation:
- Contribute to the production of consolidated AWP and annual reports.
- Ensure that the project provides appropriate responses to the main problems and needs of the country’s GBV frameworks.
- Ensure that the Spotlight Initiative Project addresses the cross-cutting issues in GBV – health, data, social norms, social protection, etc.
- Ensure that activities conducted under one pillar/agency is of benefits to and from inputs by other interested pillars/agencies (cross-fertilization).
- Review respective findings and recommendations of the project pillars on similar or connected issues, with a view to ensure their internal as well as external coherence.
- Produce analytical reports and publications on issues it considers of relevance for project coherence and quest for synergies in the Spotlight Initiative.
Manage Knowledge Management for the Spotlight project:
- Supervise the compilation, analysis and publication of statistical and other data and materials supporting Spotlight Project coherence and synergies and document lessons learnt and participate in dissemination to relevant partners.
- Within the limits inherent to the Spotlight Initiative Project objectives, procedures and means of action, develop and implement appropriate action and activities to promote its overall coherence and synergies.
- Ensure that compatible frameworks are used for similar outputs from the various pillars (including technical notes).
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Gender, Population, Sociology, Development studies and any other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant and increasingly professional working experience in programme/project management of GBV and/or SRHR in the public or private sector.
- Recognized expertise in technical coherence and programming
- Experience in working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Knowledge of population, reproductive health, gender, gender-based violence and youth issues.
- Ability to work under pressure and excellent and human relation skills.
- Fluency in English required. Strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English will be an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of specialists
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization (Programme)
- Job knowledge
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
Application Closing Date