The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in Collaboration with International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) and the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) is implementing a Livelihood Improvement Family Enterprise in the Niger Delta States (LIFE-ND).
To facilitate implementation of the project, the partners want qualified and competent personnel to fill the underlisted position:
Job Title: State Agribusiness Promotion Officer (SAPO)
Job Type: Contract (1 year)
Office: State Project Coordination
- The State Agribusiness Promotion Officer will support the creation of jobs using the Incubator Apprenticeship Model.
- He/she will be actively involved in the development of agri-enterprise business plan in agricultural commodity production, processing, storage and marketing; support market access to build strong agribusiness and value chain orientation to selected youth and women in the project areas; and explore capacity development of agriculture value chain financing models.
- Develop activities for the State annual work plan and budgets (AWPB).
- Oversee the selection process of incubators and apprentices within the state.
- Coordinate the development of a training curriculum for incubators and apprentices.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of bankable business plan, marketing strategies, product development and branding; and, linkage to service providers and markets.
- Lead and supervise the implementation of the incubator- apprenticeship model in empowering at least 100 incubators and 4,250 new agri-enterprises in the state.
- Effectively supervise and ensure that the objective of this intervention is achieved and ensure the viability and profitability of the enterprises.
- Coordinate the capacity assessment and strengthening of CADA and the formation of a Commodity Alliance Forum at the LGA level.
- Identify and partner with private sector operators and CADA to avail farmers and other agri-enterprises the opportunity to sustainably access market information (demand, supply and price).
- Give technical direction and management leadership in identifying actions and mechanisms for the promotion and use of value addition technologies including post-harvest handling, processing, storage and packaging.
- Promote the deployment and adoption of friendly productive technologies and the application of efficient/effective, dynamic and profitable modules across the value chains.
- Promote volume of produce for large markets, sustainability of identified farmer markets, reduction of cost of services, and develop cluster/entrepreneurs arrangements and contract arrangements between produce off-takers and weaned agri-entrepreneurs.
- Develop MoU with all categories of service providers (mechanization, agro dealers, sprayers, extension, etc) on areas of engagement and line and terms of support from the project.
- Select service providers where necessary and formulate TORs and scope of work for the service providers. Supervise, monitor and clarify the work of service providers for the various activities and assignments.
- Design capacity building and technical assistance measures and activities in the areas of primary production, value addition, market access, business management, quality control and standardization.
- Produce state progress reports and contribute to the drafting of periodic project progress report.
Reporting and Location
- The position will be in the SPCO housed in the State ADP. The SAPO will report directly to the SPC.
Qualification and Experience
- Masters Degree in Agribusiness or Agricultural Economics or first degree in any of the Agriculture related disciplines and MBA or higher degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Marketing or related fields.
- Strong background and practical skills in business development and marketing and at least 3 years work experience on issues and programmes relating to agricultural commodity production, commodity marketing, agro-processing and value chain development and MSME promotion.
- Good negotiation, inter-personal and relational skills.
- Previous experience in working with government and private sector in developing agri-enterprises/agribusiness will be a great advantage.
Application Closing Date
16th April, 2019.