Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development (ACTED) – Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Job Type: Full Time
Position to Start: 1st April 2019
Contract Duration: 6 Months
- In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for qualified staff to support our mission based in Maiduguri.
The Finance Officer will be responsible of the following tasks:
- Respect existing financial procedures and send all accounting documents to the Capital Office
- Ensure the proper allocation of each expense to the corresponding project
- Ensure that the finance Assistant(s) are filling the Manual Cash Book and properly carrying out their tasks
- Upload in the NGO accountancy program SAGA all the base accountancy on a weekly basis and check it on a monthly basis before sending it to the Capital Office on the 5th of each month
- Supervise the weekly and monthly cash reconciliations and the monthly bank reconciliation
- Supervise the relation with the bank(s)
- Sent a weekly cash request to the Capital Office and liaise with Program teams and Logistics to prepare a Base Monthly Cash Request to be sent to the Capital Office
- Update the Contract Follow-Up each time a new contract is signed and each time a payment relative to a contract is done. Send the Contract Follow-Up to the Capital Office on the 5th of each month
- Follow-up financial indicators of ACTED’s projects
- Help the Country Office to have a clear vision of the base’s financial situation
- Help the Area Coordination/Country Director to have a clear vision of the area’s financial situation.
- Responsible for the budget management of his /her area, in line with the Budget Management Procedure.
- Responsible for the accuracy of the projects’ accountancy
- Ensures all financial and accountancy procedures are implemented and respected at the project level; ensures that resources are allocated and used as per donor requirements
- Updates and analyses the Budget Follow-Up (BFU) every month for the related area’s projects with the support of the AC & Program team, highlighting any potential over or underspending, raising alarms and making relevant recommendations to ensure accurate forecast and spending’s
- Assists the AC, CFM, and DFM to have a clear vision of the financial situation of each project
- Monitors the projects’ liquidation period and make sure all payments are done prior to the end of the liquidation period.
- Prepares initial financial reports at the end of that projects with explanations and analysis, mainly focusing on implementing site according to donor guidelines.
- Process payments and contracts according to a timely manner.
- Monitors program and operational contracts and their accuracy in the CFU
- Monitors field payments and advances ensuring a fast and smooth process of the payments
- Ensures that complete and accurate documentation (as per policy and in accordance with donor regulations) is prepared before processing any financial payments
- Ensures that no payment is processed without the authorized signatories’ validation
- Ensures adherence to procedures and supports successful FLAT management at the base level
- Ensures that expenses are allocated on the correct project within the relevant timeframe
- Ensures adherence of accountancy to the appropriate allocations as per allocation tables
- Ensures allocations in SAGA are as per the allocation tables
- Monitors closely opened loans and ensure the closure of it within a timeline considering the exchange rate impacts.
- Review and validate the updated CFU (signed Contracts) prepared by the finance assistant and check the status of payments on a regular basis.
- Ensures all debit amounts are updated in the DFU on a regular basis.
- Prepare and monitor the area’s cash needs on a daily basis.
- Prepares and update the weekly and /or monthly Cash requests
- Reviews and upload the accountancy of the month and share it with Capital according to the given timeline.
- Review and validate the area PRATIC, CFU, DFU, Cash & Bank supporting documents, the debit of recognition, copy of manual cash books and share it with Capital according to the given timeline.
- Update the AT, ACT and Running costs on a monthly basis and share it with Capital after the validation of the AC.
- 2 to 3 years’ experience in accountancy/finance/administration, ideally in the NGO sector.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Audit, Administration or Accounting.
- Advanced proficiency in Word & Excel formulas and functionalities
- Experience with SAGA accounting software
- Preferable to be Aware of the labor law
- Rigorous with keen attention to details.
- Good knowledge of financial reporting and internal control mechanisms.
- Discreet and respectful of the confidentially of the information dealt with.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Proficient in English language
- Ability to work well with people from diverse cultures and communicate effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to determine priorities and respect deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
Application Closing Date
17th March, 2019.