Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Materials and Corrosion Engineer
Ref Id: 103278BR
Skillpool: Project Services
Roles & Responsibilities
- Drive the implementation of Materials, Corrosion and Integrity (MCI) requirements in the design, fabrication, testing, installation, pre-commissioning and commissioning of a large and complex deepwater project. Ensure the final products delivered meets the MCI requirements as well as the project scope of work and specifications.
- Lead the MCI activities during tendering, detail design, fabrication, testing, installation, and support the commissioning in accordance with Company policies and standards.
- Address MCI related technical queries and clarification questions from vendors, support the development of technical evaluation criteria and the technical evaluation of the bids.
- Set up and manage appropriate systems required to assure integrity of the Subsea, Umbilicals, Risers and Flowlines (SURF) scope.
- Ensure that all deliverables as defined in the project controls and assurance plan are completed successfully.
- Drive the materials selection, development of corrosion management strategy and development of inspection plans and work packs for the project.
- Drive the identification, maturation and deployment of value adding new MCI related technologies and innovations to optimise the SURF scope. Support the testing and qualification of these new technologies.
- Drive the in-country testing of materials.
- Contribute to the development of fit for purpose quality plan and Inspection and Test Plan (ITP) including materials management procedure for the Project.
- Drive the identification and lateral application of MCI related learnings from other projects.
- Provide mentorship and coaching of less experienced staff.
- Contribute to the management of change process to ensure technical integrity, efficiency, and safety of facilities.
- Liaise with the broader materials and corrosion organisation within Company both locally and globally to ensure up-to-date tools and strategies are applied in the management of materials and corrosion on the project.
- Provide authentic and visible leadership in the areas of HSSE, diversity, interpersonal and technical skills development, and cost leadership.
Qualifications & Experience
- The Principal Materials and Corrosion Engineer – SURF shall have minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent (preferably Materials and Metallurgy) with at least 12 years of experience in upstream Exploration and Production (EP) projects with emphasis on Design and Execution in deepwater environment.
- At least 10 years experience directly related to materials and corrosion.
He/She shall meet the following requirements;
- A COREN registered or registerable engineer
- Technical Professional with good knowledge of deepwater subsea & pipelines design, fabrication, installation and commissioning and should have played a key role in the delivery of at least one major deepwater project involving subsea infrastructure design and installation.
- Able to provide in-depth materials and corrosion expertise required for the design, fabrication, installation, pre-commissioning and commissioning of subsea and pipeline systems.
- Able to work within and interface with mixed teams of professionals located globally.
- Have excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Previous experience in working with the Nigerian Welding Society will be an advantage.
- Previous experience in testing of materials in-country will be an advantage.
- Team player, self-motivated, with coaching skills, persistence, and with ability to think outside- the-box.
- Visibly demonstrates personal and company HSE commitment.
- Demonstrates capability to proactively implement plans and follow through with sustained execution, meeting project milestones.
- Values and is open to listening to stakeholder perspectives, including experience managing multiple stakeholders and host government agencies.
- Able to maintain composure under pressure while providing clear and decisive leadership
- Able to deal with multiple, often conflicting, goals and priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to influence and develop relationships across disciplines and multiple cultures, be comfortable coaching and motivating others, and delivering through others.
- Able to identify opportunities for optimising SURF systems designs, reducing operating costs (e.g. reducing chemical injection rates) and proposing technically robust solutions to deliver value.
- Familiar with project development challenges in Nigeria or in other regions with similar challenges.
Application Closing Date
22nd March, 2019.