Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
Reference No. MS03000
Working hours: 48 Hours per week
Salary: As per the MSF salary scale (national/local contract)
Grade level: 6 under local contract
Reports to (Hierarchical): Project coordinator /Activity Manager
Reports to (Functional): Activity Manager / Project Medical Referent/ Medical Coordinator
Job Family: Medical
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after deliv-ery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive post-abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse and/or Community Health Workers in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Ensuring proper documentation and weekly data collection.
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols , as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor as well as being involved in IPC (Infection prevention Control). Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the new-born, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions;
- Supervises the use of drugs, perform AMV for post abortion care if needed, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point. 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight newborns.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participating in msf strategies of staff development (in ensuring teamwork and adherence to trainings, meetings…)
- Ensuring all rapid test ( RDT, HB, Glucose …) requested by doctors are done in the ward without delay , and participating in urine test , stools sample collection
- Welcome to the victims of Sexually Gender Based Violence
- Know the SGBV protocols and take care of the victims correctly
- Safe guarding for all patient admitted
Basic hygiene rules:
- Knows and applies universal precautions and infections control in medical premises, ensuring asepsis during all nursing cares, as well as quality sterilisation procedures.
- Follows the procedure for sorting waste
- Follows the procedures in the case of accidental blood exposure
Drugs and material:
- Looks after all equipment provided.
- Ensures that no material is taken out of wards without prior authorisation.
- Keeps an updated inventory of all material and equipment used and ask in advance for all renewable material needed.
- Carries out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover
- Informs line manager of the various needs or of any problems linked to equipment or material (ex. broken, missing).
- Records in individual patient’s card and registration books all activities performed.
- Records in each patient’s card quantities and type of drugs taken. Replace with: Records in each patient´s chart drugs administered, dose, and time.
- Fills in the handover book, noting everything that happened during the shift and any changes in prescription or patients to be followed up
- Promotes and maintains confidentiality regarding all patient cases and records.
- Informs medical staff about any possible serious problem or complication, ex. worsening of state of patients, problems in medicines, etc.
- Ensures handover to next duty team regarding patients and their status.
- Informs line manager of any problems that might be linked to work of midwifes as well as problematic equipment, drugs, material (ex. broken, missing) or behaviours toward beneficiaries which can affect operation.
- Participates in the medical team meeting for exchanging information on the state of the patients
Note: This list of activities is not exhaustive, MSF may ask you to perform other tasks according to the needs of the context.
- Education Essential midwifery qualification or specialization: Bachelor’s degree in Midwifery
- Experience Essential working experience of at least 1 year in midwife activities related jobs. Ideally with MSF or other international NGOs.
- Languages Mission language: English (essential); local working language (Hausa) would be a strong asset and will be privileged.
- Computer skills: basic knowledge required.
Application Closing Date
11th April, 2019.