United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Analyst – Area Coordinator with Frequent Travels to Adamawa and Yobe States
Job ID: 27615
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery – STABILIZATION
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Slot: 3 Openings
- The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme.
- The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results in anticipation of launch of new programmes, such as Nigerian Window of the Stabilization Facility in NE Region.
- The National Window of the Regional Stabilization Facility for Nigeria aims to address the needs of immediate stabilization in the target areas in North-East Region of Nigeria with high degrees of insecurity, promoting the phased transition of insecure areas toward greater security, and the reduction of current volatility whereby previously secure areas have become more rather than less vulnerable.
- Area-based multi-sectoral approach is essential for UNDP’s programmes and projects in the NE and ensuring coordination and synergies among different interventions and activities in each target communities in Borno, Yobe, and Adaamawa. It is also critical to establish and maintain close and constructive relationships and networks with the counterparts in the state government and communities for both early recovery and stabilization facility programmes.
- To this end, UNDP is seeking a highly qualified technical personnel for ensuring overall coordination and monitoring implementation of all activities in the target communities in the respective state, closely collaborating with other project teams and experts in NE Sub-Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures day-to-day coordination and management of programme activities in his/her assigned geographic area of responsibility and programme outputs;
- Reports to Head of Stabilization or his/her designated staff on the achievement of project outputs in the respective state, contributes to project/programme reports and supports communications results of UNDP sub-office in Maiduguri;
- Ensures that the programme produces the Early Recovery, Stabilization, and Peace-building results specified in project documents, to the required standard of quality and within specified constraints of time and cost; and
- Suggests activities in her / his area for the annual project work plan and contributes to overall NE programme development as well as resource mobilization.
Ensures day-to-day coordination and management of programme activities in his/her assigned geographic area of responsibility and programme outputs:
- Liaises and collaborates with relevant counterparts and target groups in specific locations in the three targeted states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
- Coordinate implementation of NE programme components and outputs to create maximum results of UNDP’s interventions for the target beneficiaries and communities in the respective state.
- Ensures full alignment and complementarity of UNDP’s efforts for Early Recovery, Stabilization, and Peace-building with strong and close relationships and networks with those of national counterparts, sister UN Agencies and other institutions and individuals in the targeted areas
- Serve as a focal point from UNDP to the respective State Government for coordination and liaison related to UNDP projects and programmes.
- Ensures team-works and coordination among staff, experts and project teams working under different NE projects.
- Monitors and supervises the work of contracted parties and individuals for specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Ensures full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations of all ER activities for specific substantive or geographic outputs.
Consolidates and reports on the achievement of project outputs in the respective areas/states, contributes to project/programme reports and supports communications results of UNDP sub-office in Maiduguri:
- Reports on UNDP’s activities for Early Recovery, Stabilization, and Peace-building in the respective areas/states, accomplishments and results as per formats, milestones and other requirements for specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Provide consolidated inputs on the in the respective areas/states and contributes to sub-office reporting to counterparts and humanitarian clusters for UNDP
- Certifies completion of specific works and services as conducted by contractors as part of specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Produces stories, editorials, audio-visual and other materials in support of UNDP communications efforts furthering UNDP NE projects and activities in the respective areas/states in the three targeted states.
Ensures that the programme produces the results UNDP projects and activities in the respective areas/states in NE, as specified in project documents, to the required standard of quality and within specified time and budget in Annual Work Plan:
- Implements and monitors the high quality of UNDP’s programmatic work in specific substantive or geographic outputs in the respective areas/states in the three targeted states
- Works closely with other UNDP experts and staff to agree on approaches, document lessons, exchange experiences and improve UNDP NE programming and operations across the board
- Conceives and supports a range of partnerships for the benefit of UNDP’s NE activities with state and local governments, non-traditional leaders and institutions, research and volunteer organizations, UN Agencies and non-governmental actors of all sorts
- Suggests and advances areas for improvement of the UNDP NE programme for further incorporation into future proposals and concepts.
Suggests activities in her / his area for the annual project work plan and contributes to overall NE programme development as well as resource mobilization:
- Contributes to discussion and documentation on lessons learnt and best practices towards furthering the UNDP NE programmes and projects;
- Contributes to the conception and drafting of project and programme concepts, proposals and budgets for new and expanded NE programming;
- Advocates UNDP’s achievements and experiences to wider audiences, in the targeted areas and beyond;
- Contributes to resource mobilization efforts of UNDP.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an coordinated and synergized impact on creation of effective positioning of UNDP as a key actor in Early Recovery, Stabilization, and Peace-building in the NE of Nigeria, thus contributing to the stature and name of UNDP as the UN’s global development network. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP early substantive recovery and stabilization strategies with a view of delivering on-ground UNDP’s NE programmes and projects, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in any of the Social Sciences/Humanities or any development related field
- At least 4 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in development programming, programme coordination or project implementation.
- Experience implementing early recovery programmes in communities in North East Nigeria
- Experience in participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation and reporting
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UNDP, is highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- The ability to communicate effectively in Kanuri, Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standard;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Substantive and technical expertise in all aspects of stabilization, peace-building, and DDR programming within broader recovery frameworks, including assessments and planning;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Has good knowledge of UNDP programme and operational issues;
- Has knowledge of UNDP/UN policies and programme in crisis and post -crisis situations;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with internal and external clients;
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively; resource management; capacity to plan and organize programmes effectively;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.People Skills:
- Promotes a learning and knowledge sharing environment;
- Facilitates the development of individual and multi-cultural/team competencies.
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2019.