The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as well as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
VA No.: 128
Organization: GIZ Nigeria – Green Innovation Centre (GIAE) 75% / Agricultural Finance (AgFin) 25%
GIZ. Working together for change
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries (December 2017).
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 280 national and 51 international employees and 4 integrated specialists are working in the country (as of 31.12.2018).
Context: Green Innovation Centre (GIAE)
- The Special Initiative One World No Hunger has been launched 2014 by the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development BMZ with the objective to increase food security and combat poverty. Under the Special Initiative, the Global Program Green Innovation Centre for the Agriculture and Food Sector (GIAE) aims to increase the productivity and income of smallholders by promoting the market oriented development of agricultural value chains.
- The Global Program places focus on the identification and fostering of innovations, dissemination of know-how and technology solutions and skills upgrading
Context: Agricultural Finance (AgFin)
- The Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) of Germany, under its special initiative “One World – No Hunger” (SEWOH), has commissioned German Development Cooperation (GIZ) with the implementation of the Global Programme “Promotion of agricultural finance for agri-based enterprises in rural areas” (AgFin) – Nigeria country module. AgFin aims at bridging the gap between the specific financial needs of the agricultural sector (demand side) and the insufficient provision of financial services for the agricultural sector on the supply side.
- In a concerted approach that combines interventions on the ‘demand’ and ‘supply’ side, the main objective of the AgFin is to improve the supply of farms and Agri-based enterprises with financial services adapted to their business models.
- The incumbent will responsible for:
- Providing administrative support for the office.
- Handling the project cash accounting
- Providing logistics for meetings and events.
- Within this context, s/he fulfils the following tasks:
- Provides general administrative supports (Printing, copying and scanning of documents) for the GIZ-GIAE and AgFin projects
- Filing documents according to GIZ filing system
- Supports the periodic inventory checks and rebelling of the projects assets
- Supports the day to day office management for the two projects
Finance and Accounting:
- Handles the cash payments and reconciliation for the two projects
- Handles cash posting for the two projects and settlement of pending cash transactions (travel advance etc)
- Handles the filing of accounting/voucher folders according to GIZ filing system
- Supports preparation for internal control for the two projects
- Checks travel advance and travel claim for correctness before payment or submission to country office
Logistics and event management:
- Assists in the preparation of workshop/event materials, agenda, attendance and provide admin support during project events
- Handles the project travel arrangements and liaise with country office travel & logistics unit as the projects travel focal person on issues on travels and visa processing
Other Duties/Additional Tasks:
- The Admin Assistant fulfils any other duty as requested by management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or any other Social Science courses
- Not more than 3 years of professional working experience in a similar position
- Previous GIZ experience is an asset
Skills and Competencies:
- Good office management and administrative skills
- Good communication skill,
- Strong multi-tasking skill
- Good working knowledge of MS-Office, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel
- Good working knowledge of modern telecommunication systems (telephone, e-mail, internet, phone conferences, skype) and related software
Application Closing Date
26th December, 2019.