The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit networking and service alliance of Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs), and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET has operations in over 31 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or the World Health Organisation Africa Region (WHO – AFRO). Established in 2005, AFENET is dedicated to helping Ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, sustainable programs and capacity to improve public health systems on the African continent.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: CSM / Cholera Laboratory Network Administrative Assistant
Duration of contract: One year
Work Hours: Full time
Open to: All Interested Candidates
- The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a not for profit, networking alliance and service organization that brings together field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) across Africa working side by side with Ministries of Health, regional and international partners.
- AFENET works to strengthen epidemiology and disease surveillance capabilities of African countries that are critical to meeting the requirements of the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy and the International Health Regulations (IHR).
- AFENET seeks to recruit highly qualified and experienced professionals to support the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in areas of work that increase epidemic preparedness and implementation of IHR 2005. The staff will be seconded to the Public Health Laboratory Services Department of the NCDC.
- The CSM/Cholera Laboratory Network Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to strengthen laboratory network coordination.
- He/She will work closely with the CSM/Cholera Lab Network Coordinator in supporting coordination and integration of existing and emerging network laboratories (CSM/cholera):
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Support administrative functions to the CSM/Cholera Lab network coordinator including but not limited to:
- Development of concept notes and budgets;
- Drafting reports;
- Planning and logistics of program activities;
- Develop and maintain a database of contact persons at all the state public health laboratories;
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of laboratory network meetings or trainings;
- Support the planning of assessments and missions to network laboratories including coordinating visits with network laboratories, developing itineraries, coordinating travel logistics;
- Maintain an up to date equipment inventory in network laboratories;
- Support the development of stock management platforms in network laboratories;
- Any other duties as assigned
- The CSM/Cholera Lab Network Administrative Assistant will perform this function under the direct supervision of the CSM/Cholera Lab Network Coordinator and under the overall oversight of the Director of Laboratory Services, NCDC.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Certification or other expertise required:
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Public Health, Business Management or other relevant science field.
- Language proficiency in English
- Job knowledge: technical knowledge in laboratory technology, laboratory quality management, lab equipment maintenance, laboratory commodities logistics and supply chain management.
- Skills and Abilities: Skills in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel; ability to clearly communicate orally and in writing; good communication and interpersonal skills.
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2019.